A Difficult Goodbye (to Rush Limbaugh)

Source: Red State | March 18th, 2016 | Paul Zummo

……..

Is Rush really this blind? Does he not realize he’s basically insulting a good chunk of his audience, or what had consisted of his audience?

Rush’s actions this primary season have felt like a betrayal, moreso than the fawning coverage of Trump provided by other right-wing media sources. Sean Hannity is a talentless hack who merely spews talking points. Michael Savage is as phony a conservative as Trump. Bill O’Reilly has long been insufferable. None of the other conservative media types who have hitched their wagon to Trump have nearly the talent or the positive reputation within the conservative movement as Rush.

I’ve been a loyal Rush listener through it all. He was the background of most of my life – at least in the middle of the day. I really don’t want to listen to DC sports talk because, really, who wants to hear non-stop talk about the Washington Redskins, any time of year let alone March? Yet at this point I can no longer listen to Rush Limbaugh, and he’s lost so much credibility with me that I don’t know that I can ever go back, no matter what happens for the remainder of the election season. And saying goodbye after all these years is truly painful.

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Discussion
  • Woodcutter #4183

I don’t know that I can ever go back, no matter what happens for the remainder of the election season. And saying goodbye after all these years is truly painful.

I heard a caller on another show claim that he had heard Rush admit that one of the reasons he talks about Trump so much is that he doesn’t want to jeopardize his golf club memberships at the Trump properties. I don’t know if this is true, but it would explain his sell-out. Sadly he is acting the same as the Washington insiders (and the Washington cocktail parties) he has talked about for so many years.

Consistent #4184

Goodbye, Rush! Thank you for entertaining us for all those years.

plewis #4188

I personally believe he is jaded by the social implications of not backing Trump.

One of the most prominent social scenes for Palm Beach is Mar-del-Lago, Trump’s home turned private club.

Rush lives and is quite active int th socialite scene in Palm Beach. He met his wife in these same circles.

He is only a human being, and likely feels pressure for not backing the owner of the club. I’m sure he would never admit this, but I honestly feel it’s what’s at the root of his behavior regarding Trump.

What’s really killing him, is he has said for years conservatism is the only solution if we would just elect folks who supported it. And he has said Trump is not an ideologue, yet is somehow going to lead to success.

I understand the desire to not pick a side, but I believe this a critical error on Rush’s part. For every excuse you have to make for a candidate, you are putting your neck on the line, you are endorsing the behavior without officially endorsing.

Clear example: the abortion topic.

Any sane person whom is being honest about their belief structure, would completely abandon Trump after that fiasco. It proved out one of 2 things, either he was a complete moron when it comes to abortion, or he is lying to us about what he believes.

The excuse Rush has regarding this being because Trump was applying punishment to a legal matter is bunk. If Trump is that foolish he cannot understand a principle components of the party platform, he has no business running for President.

Rush showed his cards, by excusing Trump, he dismissed the candidate being completely opposite of a core principle… He staked his reputation on it, and lost.

Hope it was worth it Rush, because I have a feeling it may have been a mortal blow.

silver pines #4199

“What’s really killing him, is he has said for years conservatism is the only solution if we would just elect folks who supported it. And he has said Trump is not an ideologue, yet is somehow going to lead to success.”

Plewis, my husband and I were talking about that very thing this morning.

Months ago, Rush started making his Trump bias known when he subtly—or so he thought—began changing his “conservatism is our objective” to “beating Democrats is our objective.”

Rush knows that Trump would be a disaster for the country, and he’ll have to shoulder part of the blame IF that disaster is somehow elected.

A former (zotted) Freeper who has contacts in the political sphere, and who has worked for Limbaugh, told me privately that Rush is still, in his own mind, the fat kid without any friends, and he relishes being part of the “in” group. Apparently the lure of being part of Trump’s circle is just too much for him to resist.

ConstitutionalConservative #4205

I quit listening to Rush a few years ago when I began hearing numerous contradictions, so much so it became intolerable. I now only hear him if some forum posts video or audio clips that seemingly support conservative points of view. I have noticed since Trump getting into this race those video/audio clips have become few and far between I think because they illuminate his contradictory behavior where Rush really stands and who he really is these days is indeterminable.

In one breath he says Cruz is the only conservative in the race then in the next breath he endlessly praises almost endorses Trump as if he has no idea Trump is not a conservative. These types of contradictions from Rush have been going on for several years. I was once a dedicated daily listener it takes awhile to catch on but he is not the Rush I’ve enjoyed hearing for many years, he has morphed into someone different.

slhancock1948 #4207

Woodcutter, if that is true, then I will cancer my membership. I don’t get to listen much anymore because of my work schedule, but when we can and he starts of with Trump, then we know we might as turn it off. So, I did not hear that, but if others confirm it, then I will write and ask for my money back. I’ve emailed 2-3 times, telling him that by covering everything Trump all 43 hours, it is the same as endorsing him. He denies it on the air, but I wrote again and said then why not cover anything Cruz does, instead? He could use the coverage and if he feels that Cruz really in the one true conservative, as he has stated, he could opt to promote many of the things Ted is doing. That’s a fact.
    I know a lot of talk show hosts say. “Ted Cruz can call in any time he wants to and I’ll put him on.”, but Ted knows that he’d only be asked countless questions about Trump’s allegations and nothing about policy. Handy never lets Cruz talk policy. Everything is geared towards putting him on the defensive, not letting him take the offense. These clowns are mostly all alike. I am so glad for Mark Levin. He’ll ask Cruz about some of the Trump questions, but he doesn’t keep interrupting with another allegation. Nor does Beck. They let him talk and mostly about what he wants to get across to the American people. Beck and even may be two of the most useful talkshow hosts this season. And I love that Carly has taken to the road for Ted and she does;t let them get away with these questions. She steers everything right where it needs t go. She has definitely been an asset to him.

Pray for righteousness to be restored and for the peace of Jerusalem

Victoria #4210

“…he doesn’t want to jeopardize his golf club memberships at the Trump properties.”

Here is a truism (I made up but it is still true): Conservatism is the model of government that best serves the people.

However, if staying true to conservatism affects you personally in a negative way, dump it and vote for Trump to keep your perks. Limbaugh speaks conservatism, but it is going to hurt him if he backs Cruz, so he abandons it for personal pleasure. Rush would not be one to say, “Give me liberty or give me death” (Patrick Henry). He is saying, “Give me Trump to keep my pleasure.” Patrick Henry would spit on Rush.

Trump will further destroy the country but Rush will still be welcomed at Trump’s Florida golf club and able to interact with Trump’s rich friends. Here is another truism I made up: The rich stay together to stay rich. Rush’s choice proves this. If he opposed Trump, he would be thrown out of the rich club, suffer deprivation of pleasure, so he will do whatever to stay with the rich.

slhancock1948 #4218

Sorry…I did not catch all the auto-correct mistakes above! I need to figure out how to turn this off. Drives me nuts. Handy instead of Hannity. even instead of Levin…which usually corrects to Leving…why Leving? Aaargh!

But, yes, I’ve been quite disappointed in Rush this election season. They all have their price, don’t they? The thing that hurts the most is that we have the most conservative candidate in decades and instead of making the case for him, the so-called conservative talkshow hosts are by far the most in the tank for the vilest, narcissistic, childish bully that we’ve had in a long time. Trump is making Obama look good, as well as Nixon, Carter, etc. The longer this drags out the worse it looks. I’m embarrassed that Trump says he is a republican! I wish he’d just come out and announce for a 3rd party run right now.

Dear Lord…PLEASE remove this man(?) from the republican ticket!

ConservativeGranny #4219

Sometimes I think that it isn’t that Rush has changed it’s that I have changed. As I became more confidant in my conservative viewpoints and learned more about our country’s history and the Constitution I needed people like Rush and FOX news less and less. I never thought of Rush as a real committed Conservative with unshakable principles. I would put Rush and Levin in differnet catagories. Levin lives and breathes this stuff. Rush doesn’t want to completely cut himself off from his powerful friends. Someone on FR once said of Rush that he was “still that fat kid trying to be in the IN crowd” or something like that. I thought that comment made a lot of sense.

I’m not trying to knock Rush or FOX. It’s just a personal thing for me in that I have limited amounts of time to listen to these shows and my tolerance for Trump stuff is very low LOL! I narrowed down my listening and viewing choices to those that I find most helpful. Levin’s yelling and hollering is actually very soothing to me. It’s how I feel many times and don’t have the outlet for expressing it that Levin has. So he can do all of that for me and I don’t have to raise my blood pressure:)

My husband has also started watching Levin TV at night and is catching up with the episodes. He really likes the show. Friday Levin had a great show with a couple of K9 police officers and their dogs. No politics that night but all support for police and showcasing those K9s.

ConservativeGranny #4220

A former (zotted) Freeper who has contacts in the political sphere, and who has worked for Limbaugh, told me privately that Rush is still, in his own mind, the fat kid without any friends, and he relishes being part of the “in” group. Apparently the lure of being part of Trump’s circle is just too much for him to resist.

Yes!!! It was you that I heard this from before. I thought it was quite on the money.

EVERYDAY #4225

Rush had his TV show when I was younger. In my neck of the woods, it was broadcast at 3 in the morning. In those days, I had this habit of coming home from work, eating dinner, then collapsing on the sofa in front of the TV. Seemed that most nights I would wake up just as Rush’s show came on. I’d watch the show, then go to bed. He was a lot of fun back then, mixing his conservative ideals with a dose of humor. Bombastic and often rude, but spot on.

Today, you couldn’t pay me to watch or listen to these talking heads. So many of them have gone over to the dark side.

CA Surveyor #4227

Rush is not his own man.

He has to satisfy his masters to keep his cush job.

All in media have been required to keep Trump up front in the Lime Light.

Trump is the Babylonian Globalists’ secret weapon to stop Cruz, and nothing else. He would have evaporated a long time ago without the 9 billion in MSM support he has gotten.

silver pines #4314

Victoria, that’s Rush in a nutshell.

slhancock1948 #4374

Yes, Victoria, I do believe you! That is sad. I am glad that Mark Levin decided that doing what is right is better than keeping up with the “insiders’ circle”. There is something that many don’t realize in life. Once you start to make the little compromises, it becomes easier to make the bigger ones and then when you realize you are trapped, it is too late.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.