A Watershed Moment For Republicans

Source: The Resurgent | August 3, 2016 | Jason Taylor

This election is all but over. The only remaining question hovering over the proceedings is how did Trump secure the nomination in the first place? And how can the Republican Party revise its bylaws to prevent another such fiasco? Here’s what I see: There were way too many Republican candidates initially. They split the vote and allowed a noisy plurality to skew the outcome. Change the bylaws to require stiffer qualifying criteria. Then there was the precipitous decay in the standard of discourse during the debates. This played into the hands of the Orange King of Dunces and tended to shut out viable candidates like Ted Cruz.

Donald Trump has the country between a rock and a hard place. If the Republicans repudiate him, the base will erupt and based on what happens at the Trump rally’s, that could be scary. If he loses the election, he will claim it was rigged, may not concede and may even take it to court. If he wins, God help us (of course if Hillary wins, god help us). I do think he enjoys jousting with babies, needling the Khans and other elected officials up for reelection. The only person who can stop Trump is someone exactly like Trump. But everyone is too busy gasping, jaw-dropping, and being too PC to do or say anything effective.

When it became clear that Donald Trump would be the Republican nominee, prominent Republicans began taking a stand for or against Trump. No surprise that the shallow Christie, Rubio or Gingrich backed the candidate, but I told my friend “I bet McCain won’t back him.” Wow, was I depressingly wrong. If McCain and his fellow Republicans can’t even repudiate Trump for implying that POWs aren’t heroic, I thought, they have reached rock bottom. If Republican Christian leaders stand up for a candidate, policies and positions that are heartless and in direct conflict with the teachings of Christ, they have abandoned even a semblance of integrity.

….

There comes a time when you must put country before party and we have reached that point. In past elections you may not have agreed with the candidate from the opposite side but you didn’t have to fear that they might seriously damage the country. Trump is a spoiled, wealthy narcissist who lashes out when he doesn’t get his way. His track record in business demonstrates the type of leader he will be and it’s not pretty. We need a leader who will help the nation move forward, not someone who needs constant damage control.

The sensible thing for truly principled Republicans who decry Mr. Trump’s callousness, lack of discretion and spouting of uniformed “truths” and baseless purported facts would, of course be full repudiation of Trump as an acceptable standard bearer. Some of this may occur, just do not count on most current Republican leaders to act to put our nation’s best interests first. It is easy to act shocked and dismayed by a candidate’s behavior, with talk being cheap. Much more likely, is that Mr. Trump’s ego and narcissism will cause the self destruction of his candidacy. This will occur in a manner similar to the self-destruction of Senator Joseph McCarthy. To quote attorney Welch’s statement from the Army-McCarthy hearings of the early 1950’s; “Have you no decency, Sir ?” . I believe Mr. Trump has already indicated the answer to that question.

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #8943

slhancock1948 #8972

The RNC doesn’t want to revise its strategy. While they are seeing the disaster Trump is, they still are quite happy it wasn’t Cruz, even though he’d probably be leading Hillary in double digits now. They are going to lose the conservative voters, and that is the strategy. They won’t need to pander to us during the campaigns, just to turn on us later. They can then be honest about what & who they are.

Pray for righteousness to be restored and for the peace of Jerusalem

Woodcutter #9000

Yes, let’s remember the reports early on that the RNC encouraged many people to run just to dilute the vote and try to block Ted Cruz.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.