Amash says he's been 'disenchanted' with conservative peers who won't push back on Trump

Source: The Hill | March 10, 2019 | Brett Samuels

Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.) said in an interview published Sunday that he’s been “disenchanted” enough at times to consider leaving the House Freedom Caucus over the conservative group’s unflinching support of President Trump.

Amash expressed some reluctance to CNN about the extent to which his fellow Freedom Caucus members have backed Trump, even on areas where they previously lambasted former President Obama.

“From the time the president was elected, I was urging them to remain independent and to be willing to push back against the President where they thought he was wrong,” Amash told the news outlet. “They’ve decided to stick with the president time and again, even where they disagree with him privately.”

He pointed to the caucus’s opposition to Obama’s executive orders to skirt Congress on certain policy matters, and said his colleagues have “delegitimized objections to the president” by backing Trump on similar measures.

“They are good, kind people,” Amash told CNN. “I may have my disagreements with some of the current approach, but I’d still take them over pretty much anyone in Congress.”

Amash has held firm to his libertarian views on executive power and foreign policy, bucking his party on a series of votes during the Trump administration. Amash last month co-sponsored a resolution to block Trump’s national emergency declaration to secure funding for a border wall.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.