Apparently Jim Mattis wasn't on board with Trump's Syria withdrawal after all

Source: Washington Examiner | December 20, 2018 | Tiana Lowe

Another one bites the dust in the Trump administration with the impending departure of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis.

Trump, who of course announced Mattis’ retirement on Twitter, just lost the crown jewel of his national security apparatus.

…….

Trump’s rash and idiotic proclamation that U.S. forces will leave Syria in the hands of the autocratic Bashar Assad, Russian President Vladimir Putin, and the Islamists ruling Iran was apparently a bridge too far for “Mad Dog” Mattis.

Trump always said that he could compensate for his lack of foreign policy and national security experience and knowledge by choosing “all the best people.” While the phrase has been levied against the president for his stellar staffing jobs with Omarosa Manigault Newman, Steve Bannon, etc., in the case of Mattis, it actually rung true.

Hence, why Mattis, the last adult in the room, bailed when Trump decided to defy him and leave Syria while at least 20,000 ISIS combatants still terrorize the region. If he can’t stop Trump from creating yet another powder keg in the Middle East ready to build a demonic caliphate, then what good can he do? Mattis, always a professional, didn’t publicly state that he loathed Trump’s decision, but he didn’t have to. A resignation speaks a thousand words.

“Because you have the right to have a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned with yours on these and other subjects, I believe it is right for me to step down from my position,” wrote Mattis in his resignation letter.

Clearly, Syria was the last straw.

………

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.