Bill Nelson concedes Florida Senate race to Rick Scott after hand recount

Source: Washington Examiner | November 18, 2018 | Naomi Lim

Incumbent Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., called Republican challenger Rick Scott on Sunday to concede their race, ending a protracted dispute between the rivals over the results of their tight election.

“I just spoke with Senator Bill Nelson, who graciously conceded, and I thanked him for his years of public service,” Scott said via a statement of Nelson, who had been vying for a fourth term in office. “Now the campaign truly is behind us, and that’s where we need to leave it. We must do what Americans have always done: come together for the good of our state and our country. My focus will not be on looking backward, but on doing exactly what I ran on: Making Washington Work.”

Scott, Florida’s current governor, was 10,033 votes ahead of Nelson after a Sunday deadline for a hand recount, according to state officials. The manual tabulation had been triggered by the closeness of Scott’s slim vote count advantage over Scott following a machine recount, which concluded Thursday.

In a recorded address, Nelson thanked his constituents, which he has served since 2001.

“Well, things turned out a little differently than we had hoped, but I by no means feel defeated,” Nelson wrote on Twitter. “It’s been a rewarding journey and a very humbling experience. No one could be more blessed.”

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #26448

EVERYDAY #26454

Now this is how a losing candidate should respond to defeat — not the sour grapes of Miz Abrams in Georgia and her supporters. Nelson has class.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.