Cohen says his loyalty is first to family and country, not Trump

Source: CNN | July 2, 2018 | Maegan Vazquez

Washington (CNN) – President Donald Trump’s longtime personal attorney, Michael Cohen, is putting his loyalty to “family and country” before his old boss.

“My wife, my daughter and my son have my first loyalty and always will,” Cohen told ABC News‘ George Stephanopoulos in an interview published Monday morning. “I put family and country first.”

Cohen has famously said he would take a bullet for Trump and he has fashioned himself as Trump’s “fixer,” willing to help handle situations quietly. But the interview raises new questions about Cohen’s allegiance to Trump amid his legal troubles and subsequent isolation from the President’s inner circle.

A source close to Trump and Cohen told CNN that they believe Cohen is making the case to justify why he will turn against the President.

“He doesn’t want to look like he betrayed him, so he’s explaining why he’s doing what he’s going to do. I don’t think he personally dislikes Trump. I think he still likes him. His issue is that he doesn’t want to be criminally charged or sent to jail and have his family destroyed,” the source said.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.