Colorado radio listeners overwhelmingly vote to keep 'Baby, It’s Cold Outside' on air

Source: The Hill | December 5, 2018 | Aris Folley

Listeners polled at a radio station in Colorado have reportedly voted to keep “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” on the air, despite the winter standard facing increasingly scrutiny for what many see as predatory undertones in its lyrics.

Colorado’s Christmas radio station KOSI 101.1 had previously pulled the song, but the station will now be playing the track in its rotation after respondents to an online poll appeared unbothered by the song’s lyrics, The Denver Post reported.

The duet, which was written in the 1940s, features a woman singing about how she must be leaving a man’s home, while he tries to convince her not to, pointing to the winter weather.

“I really can’t stay,” the woman sings, to which the man sings in response, “but baby, it’s cold outside.” 

At another point, the woman questions “say, what’s in this drink?” and goes on to sing “I simply must go… the answer is no.” 

“What’s the sense of hurtin’ my pride?” the man asks.

A radio station in Cleveland, stopped playing the song after receiving complaints from listeners, with many arguing that the song takes on a new meaning amid the current #MeToo movement against sexual harassment and assault.

However, KOSI 101.1’s online poll generated over 15,000 responses, with 95 percent of respondents voting to keep the tune in its rotation.

……

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.