Conservatives push for balanced budget, permanent tax cuts in 2019 budget plan

Source: Washington Examiner | April 25, 2018 | Al Weaver

The Republican Study Committee released a proposed 2019 budget Wednesday that would balance the budget in eight years and cut billions of dollars worth of discretionary spending from the omnibus package, giving conservatives a plan to rally around in the wake of a budget deal with Democrats that added $300 billion in new spending over the next two years.

The proposal released Wednesday includes many pet issues for conservatives, including making permanent the tax cuts enacted by the GOP tax law passed in December, the full repeal of Obamacare, and the elimination of many spending priorities from the bipartisan omnibus package.

“It’s the only credible and comprehensive plan that’s been put forward this session to turn us back toward fiscal solvency before it’s too late,” said Rep. Tom McClintock, R-Calif. “We’re going to hear howls of protests from the partisans of the status quo, but we need to be mindful that we are running out of time and we are running out of options.”

The plan would maintain the president’s request for defense funding for the next ten years, starting with $716 billion in the 2019 fiscal year, but issue severe cuts to discretionary spending, a proposal that most Democrats would oppose. It would also reverse the planned spending cap increases agreed to in February and reduce spending by $12.4 trillion over ten years. Nevertheless, Rep. Mark Walker, R-N.C., maintained that the proposal is not a “slash job.”

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #23270

ConservativeGranny #23275

They weren’t too worried about balancing the budget this last go-round. Funny how that kind of stuff works when you are afraid you are going to lose an election. Throw some money at the masses and promise something that you have no intention of keeping. What a bunch of low-life liars and thieves. Trying to buy the election now thinking they can throw a bone to the little people. They sure have a low opinion of those that pay their salaries don’t they? Except for local races I think I’ll sit this one out. Ted Cruz has already said he’d support Trump if he ran again. I’m done with him too.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.