Cruz on Trump lawsuit threat: Bring it on

Source: Politico | February 17, 2016 | Katie Glueck

SENECA, S.C. — Ted Cruz on Wednesday said Donald Trump’s campaign had threatened legal action over a campaign ad. His response: Bring it on.

“Donald, if you want to file a lawsuit challenging this ad, claiming it’s defamation, file the lawsuit,” Cruz told reporters here after playing the ad, which shows clips of Trump espousing more liberal positions on issues like abortion from an interview with Tim Russert more than a decade ago.

Cruz, a Harvard-educated lawyer and former Texas solicitor general, went on to say he might depose Trump in court himself. And he warned that should Trump proceed, he and his lawyers would be “sanctioned in court for filing frivolous litigation.”

…..

“One of the things I look forward to most of all is deposing Donald Trump,” Cruz said. “And for that particular endeavor I may not use outside counsel. I may take the deposition myself. And I will say this: Whether in a deposition or in a court of law, getting Donald Trump under oath, under penalty of perjury, answering these questions? Well I’ll point out, it didn’t work out very well for Bill Clinton. Donald Trump does not want to be under oath answering questions about his own record.”

But before that happened, Cruz said, the defamation case would be tried on the “substance” of whether Trump had a pro-abortion rights record, and he proceeded to argue that Trump did.

He laid out four points that, in his view, buttressed that argument: the Russert interview; Trump’s offhand comment that his sister, a judge with a liberal record, would make an excellent Supreme Court justice; a list of donations to Democrats dating back decades, and his comment on the debate stage on Saturday that Planned Parenthood does have useful women’s health programs.

“Donald Trump is a direct cause of Obamacare passing,” he charged. “Donald helped fund the Democratic takeover of both houses of Congress.”

…..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.