Cruz rips Christie after Harvey criticism: He is 'desperate' for media spotlight

Source: The Hill | August 30, 2017 | Olivia Beavers

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) on Wednesday accused Governor Chris Christie (R-N.J.) of being “desperate” for the media spotlight, after the New Jersey lawmaker lashed out at Cruz for “playing politics” with the Hurricane Sandy aid package in 2012. 

“I’m sorry that there are politicians who seem really desperate to get their names in the news and are saying whatever they need to do that,” Cruz told “Fox & Friends.”

Christie’s long-standing fight with Cruz over the aid for Sandy has been renewed after record rainfall from Tropical Storm Harvey in Cruz’s own state is expected to necessitate massive federal aid.

Cruz slammed Christie for attacking him at a time when over a dozen people have died and thousands have been displaced as a result of the storm, which made landfall in Texas on Friday.

“We have a crisis on the ground with people who are hurting right now, people who are in harm’s way whose lives and families are in jeopardy as we speak. I’ll tell you my focus, and I wish the focus of others would be on saving the lives that are being threatened,” Cruz continued.

Christie went after the Texas senator a day before, calling his reasoning for voting against the Sandy relief package “an absolute falsehood.”

“What was wrong was for Ted Cruz to exploit the disaster for political gain, and that’s what he was doing,” Christie said on MSNBC’s “All in with Chris Hayes.”

Cruz and Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) both opposed the aid package for New York and New Jersey after 2012’s Superstorm Sandy, saying the bill included wasteful spending that wasn’t related to the storm recovery.

…….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.