Deputy attorney general says no cause to fire Mueller

Source: The Hill | December 13, 2017 | Morgan Chalfant

Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein said Wednesday that he has seen no good cause to fire Robert Mueller from his role as special counsel in the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Rosenstein faced tough questions from Republicans on the House Judiciary Committee Wednesday amid revelations that FBI officials on Mueller’s team had exhibited political bias. President Trump’s allies have seized on the reports to discredit the investigation.

Rosenstein on Wednesday defended the special counsel, telling ranking member Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) that he has seen no good cause to fire Mueller.

The deputy attorney general, who is overseeing the Russia probe after Attorney General Jeff Sessions recused himself, told lawmakers that Mueller had taken the appropriate action by firing an FBI agent on the investigation over anti-Trump text messages he had sent to a colleague during the campaign.

“Have you seen good cause to fire special counsel Mueller?” Nadler asked Rosenstein.

“No,” Rosenstein replied.

Later, when asked what he would do if he were directed to fire Mueller, Rosenstein replied, “I would follow the regulation. If there were good cause, I would act. If there were no good cause, I would not.”

…….

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.