Eiffel Tower to remain shut due to snow

Source: BBC | 9 February 2018 | BBC

Paris’s Eiffel Tower, which attracts six million tourists every year, will remain closed until Sunday as a result of heavy snowfall in the city.

The tower, a symbol of Paris, has been closed since Tuesday.

Officials say it is too dangerous for tourists to visit because of the risk of slipping.

The Paris City Hall says the level of snow that has fallen since Tuesday is “unprecedented since 1987”, with 12cm falling in one 24-hour period.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Woodcutter #21564

Oh No! More Global Warming!

Woodcutter #21565

Oh No! More Global Warming!

EVERYDAY #21569

My math is terrible, but I calculate 12 cm as around 5 inches in 24 hours. That’s nothing where I come from. Don’t know about Paris, but here we have snow plows and salt trucks. What’s the big deal?

Woodcutter #21579

You are right – but, surprisingly, they don’t get snow in Paris:

December and January see an average of 16 or 17 wet days each. The weather is generally very similar to that found in the UK. Snow is sometimes seen, though it is uncommon. When snow does fall, Paris looks truly beautiful, as indeed it does on any clear crisp winter’s day.

EVERYDAY #21580

Well, I learned something new today. Thanks Woodcutter.

I guess Paris reacts to snow as many of our southern states do. One flake and it’s complete mayhem and paralysis. Not equipped to deal with what is typical winter weather in our northern states.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by EVERYDAY.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.