Erick Erickson: A Brief Response to Dennis Prager

Source: The Resurgent | May 30, 2017 | Erick Erickson

……

Who exactly is Dennis talking about?

See, if I say anything in defense of this administration, the President, or any of his staff I am presumed by some of just trying to suck up and ingratiate myself with Trump. Meanwhile, those who see themselves as apologists for Trump are ungrateful, badgering, and hope the supposed sucking up fails.

If I say anything critical about the President and his administration I am presumed to still be nursing a grudge over getting the election wrong. To Trump’s apologists, once Never Trump, always Never Trump, which is now short for treason to his tribe as much as the left presumes treason for supporting Trump.

I think Trump Derangement Syndrome is real. There are those who would never say a kind word about this administration even if it did everything they want. But there are also the deranged apologists who will gladly cheer on Russia because the President loves Russia.

For those who are just trying to call it as we see it, it is a no win situation but it is a situation worth being in.

Many of the people who bitched the loudest about Barack Obama playing golf all the time now suddenly are okay with Donald Trump’s travel costs and golf playing. Many of the people who wanted to impeach President Clinton for lying are now routinely defending lies. Many of the people who once believed character counts now think it’d be nice, but is not necessary for sound leadership. I’d prefer not to surrender my intellectual honesty.

So I’m just not sure who Dennis is talking about here.

One point to echo Jonah, I do not think we are in a civil war, but a culture war, and it is a culture war the GOP has no desire to fight. Its leader, Donald Trump, supports transgender bathroom access and gay marriage and wants to fund Planned Parenthood.

As to Trump being a general, I always thought conservatives were to be led by truth, not personality. To the extent the cult of personality has invaded the right, it is no less dishonest than it is on the left and its hagiographic treatment of both Obama and Clinton.

…….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.