First woman to lead Air Force Viper team ousted: 'I lost confidence in her ability to lead'

Source: Washington Examiner | February 12, 2019 | Diana Stancy Correll

The first woman to lead the Air Combat Command F-16 Viper demonstration team was removed from her position Monday after two weeks on the job, according to the Air Force.

Col. Derek O’Malley, the 20th Fighter Wing commander at Shaw Air Force Base in South Carolina, said that he “lost confidence” in Capt. Zoe Kotnik’s leadership, but didn’t say what led to his decision.

“I removed Capt. Kotnik from her position as the commander of the Viper Demo team [Monday], because I lost confidence in her ability to lead the team.” O’Malley said in a statement. “I know that loss of confidence is a common response from the Air Force, whenever someone is removed from a command position, and I think it’s important to understand why we take this approach.”

……..

O’Malley acknowledged that Kotnik’s removal would take a toll on her, but noted that “she’s surrounded by wingmen that will help her every step of the way.”

…….

A spokesperson for the 20th Fighter Wing said Kotnick’s removal means she will not perform with the team, but will still serve in a “non-supervisory” capacity with the wing, according to the Air Force Times. Maj. John “Rain” Waters, who was the Viper demo pilot last year, will lead the Viper demo team now.

……

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.