Flake plans to support Kavanaugh after FBI investigates ‘unless they turn up something’

Source: The Hill | September 29, 2018 | Tal Axelrod

Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) says he plans to support Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination unless the FBI investigation into sexual assault allegations against the Supreme Court nominee reveals wrongdoing.

“I’m a conservative. He’s a conservative. I plan to support him unless they turn up something — and they might,” Flake told The Atlantic for an article published Saturday.

The GOP senator’s comments came hours after he forced a weeklong FBI investigation into allegations against Kavanaugh, saying he would agree to allow Kavanaugh’s nomination to advance from the Senate Judiciary Committee if the FBI could investigate.

………

Flake late Friday expressed concern with Kavanaugh’s confirmation process, particularly with the partisanship displayed in hearings held by the Judiciary Committee. 

“We can’t just have the committee acting like this. The majority and minority parties and their staffs just don’t work well together. There’s no trust. In the investigation, they can’t issue subpoenas like they should. It’s just falling apart,” he told The Atlantic.

……

Flake also revealed that former President George W. Bush, whom Kavanaugh served under in the White House, had called him and other GOP senators to lobby their support.

“He obviously worked closely with Brett so he’s a big fan. And he’s called me and a number of my colleagues,” Flake said, adding that he’s spoken with the former president “a few times in the past few weeks.”

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.