Former GOP leader in Connecticut resigns from party: 'I blame President Trump'

Source: The Hill | August 31, 2018 | Aris Folley

Michael London, a former member of the Trumbull Town Council in Connecticut, said he’s resigning from the Republican Party and blamed President Trump, calling him “the worst president our country has had — ever.”

In a op-ed published by the Hartford Courant on Friday, London wrote his decision to resign from the Republican party and register as an unaffiliated voter was “something that I never thought I would do.” 

London described himself as a “loyal member of the Republican Party for most of my adult life,” but he said the GOP “is no longer the party that I believed in all these years.”

“I blame President Trump for turning the Grand Old Party into a lame, extreme right-wing group of people unwilling or unable to see the truth. But Trump is not alone in causing my disillusionment,” he wrote.

“I have had it with the state and federal branches of the Republican Party that tolerated the president’s behavior. None of our GOP candidates for governor denounced Trump. None of the leaders of Connecticut’s GOP will speak out.”

The former Republican went on to refer to Trump “as the worst president our country has had — ever.”

…….

“Disavowing my party is no easy thing,” he wrote. “But I can’t take it any more.”

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.