Former NY Times editor Jill Abramson accused of plagiarism

Source: The Hill | February 6, 2019 | Brett Samuels

Former New York Times executive editor Jill Abramson said Wednesday that she is standing by her work amid allegations that she plagiarized material for her new book, “Merchants of Truth.”

Vice News correspondent Michael Moynihan posted a series of tweets earlier Wednesday comparing parts of Abramson’s book, which assesses the state of the news industry, to works published elsewhere in recent years.

He tweeted that the chapters about Vice were “clotted with mistakes,” adding that he discovered the book contained “plagiarized passages” while he was trying to confirm certain claims.

Moynihan posted a series of six photos where Abramson’s book appeared to have lifted material from articles in The New Yorker, the Columbia Journalism Review and a piece in Time Out magazine.

……..

In an appearance Wednesday night on Fox News’s “The Story,” anchor Martha MacCallum asked if Abramson had any comment on the plagiarism allegations.

“I really don’t,” she said. “All I can tell you is I certainly didn’t plagiarize in my book and there’s 70 pages of footnotes showing where I got the information.”

Abramson disputed the possibility of any issues with the footnotes in her book, adding that she stands by her work completely. Writers are generally expected to credit sources in the text when quoting extensively.

In a series of tweets issued late Wednesday, she pinned the criticism of her book on some Vice News employees’ “unhappiness” with her portrayal of the outlet, but pledged to “review the passages in question.”

…….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.