Gary Cohn to resign as Trump's top economic adviser

Source: Washington Examiner | March 6, 2018 | Diana Stancy Correll

Gary Cohn, President Trump’s top economic adviser, intends to resign from his post leading the National Economic Council.

“It has been an honor to serve my country and enact pro-growth economic policies to benefit the American people, in particular the passage of historic tax reform,” Cohn said in a statement Tuesday. “I am grateful to the President for giving me this opportunity and wish him and the Administration great success in the future.”

Although White House officials claimed there was no specific reason Cohn is leaving the White House, the decision comes after he had been at odds with President Trump about steep tariffs on steel and aluminum imports that were announced last week.

……..

Cohn, who has been with the Trump administration from the start, is expected to leave his position within the next few weeks, the White House confirmed to the Washington Examiner. The New York Times was the first to report Cohn’s coming departure.

Cohn had previously admitted feeling pressure to resign last August, following Trump’s comments that “both sides” played a role in the the violence that occured in Charlottesville, Va., as white supremacists clashed with counter-protesters at a “Unite the Right” rally. At the time, Cohn, who is Jewish, said that the Trump administration needed to be more vocal about condemning white national groups, after a self-identified neo-Nazi drove a vehicle into a crowd and killed counter-protestor Heather Heyer.

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.