George W. Bush pens op-ed urging full funding for anti-AIDS program

Source: The Hill | April 8, 2017 | Mallory Shelbourne

Former President George W. Bush is urging lawmakers to continue fully funding the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), an initiative he founded during his presidency to fight the AIDS epidemic in Africa.

“I argue that we shouldn’t spend money on programs that don’t work, whether at home or abroad,” Bush wrote in an op-ed for The Washington Post on Friday.

“But they should fully fund programs that have proven to be efficient, effective and results-oriented. Saving nearly 12 million lives is proof that PEPFAR works, and I urge our government to fully fund it.”

The budget proposal put forward by the Trump Administration includes a $300 million cut from PEPFAR.

…..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #15001

EVERYDAY #15007

I’m still an admirer of President Bush, but I have to disagree with him on this isssue. We spend far too much taxpayer money on foreign soil when we have problems of our own to take care of.

Perhaps instead of funding overseas projects, we can use that money to better fund President Bush’s other cause — the care of our wounded warriors.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.