Giuliani: Trump reimbursed Cohen for $130,000 payment to Stormy Daniels

Source: The Hill | May 2, 2018 | Jacqueline Thomsen

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R) said Wednesday that President Trump reimbursed his personal attorney Michael Cohen the $130,000 paid to adult-film star Stormy Daniels to stay quiet about their alleged affair.

Giuliani, who recently joined Trump’s legal team, told Fox News’s Sean Hannity that the payment was “perfectly legal” and was “not campaign money,” meaning the arrangement didn’t violate campaign finance law.

“It’s not campaign money. No campaign finance violation. They funneled through a law firm and the president repaid it,” Giuliani said.

“He didn’t know about the specifics of it as far as I know, but he did know about the general arrangement, that Michael would take care of things like this,” he said.

Hannity returned to the payment later in the interview, giving Giuliani an opportunity to clarify.

“That was money that was paid by his lawyer, the way I would do, out of his law firm funds or whatever funds, it doesn’t matter. The president reimbursed that over a period of several months,” Giuliani said.

Hannity then pressed Giuliani, saying he “distinctly” remembered that Cohen had made the payment on his own without discussing it with Trump.

“I don’t know, I haven’t investigated that. No reason to dispute that, no reason to dispute his recollection,” Giuliani replied.

“The fact is, just trust me, they’re going to come up with no violation there,” he said. “The payment was perfectly legal, all documented.”

Cohen has said that he made the payment, but that it was made with money out of his own pocket.

Trump admitted that Cohen had represented him in the arrangement with Daniels during an interview with “Fox & Friends,” but that he didn’t know about the payment.

Trump told reporters earlier this year that he didn’t know about the payment made to Daniels.

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #23419

Consistent #23420

Consistent #23421

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.