Gowdy: 'I don't have a lot to show for the last seven years' in Congress

Source: The Hill | April 6, 2018 | Max Greenwood

Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) says he doesn’t have “a lot to show for the last seven years” of his time in Congress, adding that the legislative branch is hampered by “ineffectiveness.”

“To the extent men judge themselves based on what they do for a living, I don’t have a lot to show for the last seven years,” Gowdy told Vice News Tonight on HBO in an interview.

Gowdy acknowledged the hyperpartisan nature of Congress, and that he’s not likely to run for political office again after he retires next year.

“We’ve convinced ourselves that we have to win, because the country will go to Hades in a handbasket if my team doesn’t win,” Gowdy said, later adding that the current state of the Republican Party is rooted simply in a desire to win.

Gowdy, a former federal prosecutor who was first elected to the House in 2010, announced in January that he will not seek reelection and that he intends to return “to the justice system.”

He told Vice News Tonight that he hasn’t enjoyed his time in Congress, and that he’s counting the number of trips to the airport he has left before he finally leaves Washington.

……

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.