House Freedom Caucus votes to condemn Amash's impeachment comments

Source: The Hill | May 20, 2019 | Juliegrace Brufke

The conservative House Freedom Caucus took an official position condemning Rep. Justin Amash’s (R-Mich.) call for impeachment on Monday evening, Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) told reporters.

“We had a good discussion and every single member, I think now based on who was there and our board meeting was probably over 30 members, every single member disagrees and strongly with the position Justin took over the week, and we’re focused on the now,” he said.

“I mean, look, we’re focused on the fact that what the FBI did was wrong. We think that [Attorney General William] Barr’s handled himself exactly the way the American people want the Attorney General to handle themselves, and he’s going to get to bottom of all this.”

While members did not discuss whether they should hold a vote to oust him from the powerful group he helped found, many expressed frustrations with his position. Amash said he determined the president committed “impeachable offenses” after having read the full redacted copy of Mueller report.

“What concerns me is Justin was viewed as a leader, right, on protecting privacy rights first to First Amendment rights,” Jordan continued.

“We had a press conference like a year ago with Rand Paul, Sen. [Ron] Wyden all on concerns about civil liberties and how the FISA court operates and what can happen in this whole, you know, this whole area, and now Justin’s, on the other side and I just don’t understand that.”

Rep. Warren Davidson (R-Ohio) said “they consider him a friend” but noted Amash has not attended the majority of Freedom Caucus meetings this year or held a meeting of the Liberty Caucus — the conservative caucus he founded and chairs — this year.

“You look at it, no one’s been a stronger voice on the potential abuses of FISA than Amash. I mean, he’s a passionate guy on it. So a lot of us agreed, and I remember we were all at a big press conference right before the reauth[oritzation] of FISA which was right before all this stuff came out about all this stuff with Trump,” he told reporters.

……….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #29587

Consistent #29588

House “Freedom” Caucus

ConservativeGranny #29589

I believe the Republic is finished.

EVERYDAY #29590

The “Freedom Caucus” hasn’t been conservative in a long time — if ever.

What is wrong with a public official expressing an opinion? I guess it would have been fine if the opinion was favorable to Trump.

Don’t these guys believe in freedom of speech?

Consistent #29596

ConservativeGranny #29602

Was it Orwell who said:

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.”

I don’t understand how anyone can support Donald Trump and his actions. I could never vote for anyone who supported this man as I believe it reflects on their own morality. It feels like we are living in an alternative reality where up is down and lies are truth. For someone who has been raised to expect truth & morality from our leaders it is a very confusing time. It doesn’t shake my beliefs but only strengthens them. However it makes it very difficult to have much hope for the future and my view of human nature and the American public is very dim indeed. These are depressing times.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.