Iran launches new missile program in face of possible US sanctions

Source: Washington Examiner | July 22, 2017 | Anna Giaritelli

Iran will launch a new missile production line despite new U.S.-imposed sanctions over its ballistic missile program, Iranian state media reported Saturday.

Iranian Defense Minister Hossein Dehghan told people attending a ceremony Saturday that the Sayyad 3 missile will be able to travel up to 74 miles at an altitude of 16 miles. The device could be used to attack fighter planes, helicopters, and cruise missiles, according to a Reuters report of the remarks.

Dehghan cited a $110 billion weapons deal between the U.S. and Saudi Arabia as Iran’s reason for developing new missile technologies.

The House will hold a vote on the Russia, Iran, and North Korea Sanctions Act on Tuesday, according to House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy.

……

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin previously said the sanctions will “send a strong signal that the United States cannot and will not tolerate Iran’s provocative and destabilizing behavior. We will continue to target the IRGC and pressure Iran to cease its ballistic missile program and malign activities in the region.”

Last week, the White House certified Iran had complied with the Iran nuclear deal over the past 90 days.

Tagged: ,

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.