Iraq violence: IS bombing kills 125 Ramadan shoppers in Baghdad

Source: BBC | July 3, 2016 |

At least 125 people have been killed and about 150 injured in an explosion claimed by the Islamic State group in Baghdad, Iraqi police say.

A car bomb exploded on a busy street in the central district of Karrada late on Saturday.

The mainly Shia area was busy with shoppers late at night because it is the holy month of Ramadan.

Iraq’s Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi was met by angry crowds while visiting the scene of the blast on Sunday.

A second bomb also exploded at about midnight in a predominantly Shia area north of the capital, killing another five people.

The bombing in Karrada is the deadliest in Iraq this year and comes a week after Iraqi security forces recaptured the city of Falluja from Islamic State (IS) militants.

Authorities said Falluja was used as a launch pad for attacks on Baghdad.

….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #7569

Consistent #7588

Consistent #7589

Victoria #7593

Consistent, do you remember some years ago when you didn’t think about or worry about being killed when you went somewhere? When you could fly and not worry about the plane being bombed?

These days, when you go to church, you are not safe in the church due to Islamic terrorists may enter your church and kill you. When you go to a movie, you hope you will get out alive.

Do you remember when people did not lock their cars or houses? I am 83 and remember when there was no fear of people killing you as you went about your daily life. For a number of years I worked as a school psychologist and never thought about the children not being safe. There were no school guards and anyone could come in the front door of the school and no one thought anything about it.

When I was about 20, I had a flat and two black men stopped to change my tire for me. I had no fear of these men and thanked them for fixing my tire. Today, I would lock myself in the car and use my cell phone to call for help and would not open the door for anyone except who I called.

That time of no fear is gone and will never return. Every person in this country is in danger of dying by the hand of regular criminals who have increased by millions since I was young and Islamic terrorists, both home grown and coming in from other countries.

No child in this country is safe and won’t be the rest of their lives. They will have to take precautions in order to live a life span. The world has changed since I was young and will never be safe again, ever. That is a terrible reality.

Consistent #7601

Victoria, we are always safe in the arm of our Father, God.

Consistent #7602

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.