It would be dangerous for Trump to invoke emergency powers to build a border wall

Source: Washington Examiner | January 4, 2019 | Philip Klein

President Trump declared on Friday that he would consider using emergency powers to build a border wall if he can’t get the project financed through Congress. But doing so would set a dangerous precedent.

In response to a question during a press conference, Trump insisted he didn’t need congressional approval to build a wall.

“We could call a national emergency because of the security of our country, absolutely,” Trump said. “We can do it. I haven’t done it, I may do it. I may do it. But we can call a national emergency and build it very quickly.”

He added, “But if we can do it through a negotiated process, we’re giving that a shot.”

The U.S. system places important checks on presidential power. Though it’s true that generally executive power is at its strongest in cases involving national security, for the sake of the republic, it’s important to be wary of overly broad invocations of “emergency.” The wider the interpretation of “emergency,” then the more decisions can be arbitrarily imposed on the country by a single leader, and there lies the road to authoritarianism.

Some conservatives may cheer on the idea of Trump using emergency powers to achieve their favored outcome, but if he were to go through with it, it would only be a matter of time before the next Democratic president uses expanded powers to advance a priority conservatives would find deeply objectionable.

………

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #27169

Consistent #27170

Consistent #27171

Consistent #27172

Consistent #27190

Consistent #27191

EVERYDAY #27193

Trump wants to be a dictator so badly he is willing to skirt the law or even break it to accomplish his coup. Why else is he so friendly with Putin and Kim? Sadly, if he were to attempt to become dictator,, his adoring fans would cheer him on.

It would be interesting to see how he would build his precious wall without congressional authorization? Just how and from where would he get the money?

Consistent #27202

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.