Jake Tapper: McCain not wanting Trump at his funeral is ‘real moment for the country’

Source: The Hill | May 7, 2018 | Jacqueline Thomsen

CNN’s Jake Tapper is weighing in on a New York Times report that Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) doesn’t want President Trump at his funeral, calling it a “real moment for the country.”

“This is a real moment for the country where an American hero, somebody who is beloved in many, many ways, is saying, ‘I don’t want this guy at my funeral,’” Tapper said Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

……

The Times reported Saturday that McCain’s inner circle has communicated to the White House that the senator would like Vice President Pence to attend his eventual funeral at the Washington National Cathedral, but not Trump.

Rep. Gregory Meeks (D-N.Y.) said during a panel discussion on Tapper’s CNN show that McCain is “known for being honest, just the opposite of Donald Trump.”

“I wouldn’t expect anything to be different for Mr. McCain, Sen. McCain, now. He is not going to be a hypocrite. He does not believe that Donald Trump represents the kind of moral authority the president of the United States should represent for our country,” Meeks said.

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #23506

EVERYDAY #23507

Why should Trump attend? He and his cult never liked McCain and I suppose the feelings are mutual. Pence attending as representative of the president is more than enough. At least Pence won’t make a spectacle of himself.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.