John McCain Slips in Provision to Draft Women in Defense Bill

Source: Conservative Review | May 12, 2016 | Daniel Horowitz

….

Earlier this week, I noted that the final House version of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) contained a provision for the first time ever including young women in the requirement to register for Selective Service. However, this provision was only added because of a strategic mistake of the committee chairman who thought the members would vote down this absurdity. He was just trying to make a point. John McCain, on the other hand, who is chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, deliberately placed that provision in his chairman’s mark of the NDAA, according to a Senate staffer.

I am further told by Senate staff that it is unlikely an amendment to strike this provision will even succeed on the floor of the Senate, which means a majority of that body now supports drafting women. The only hope to stop this is on the House floor. Have we gone mad as a society?

Any vestige of GOP opposition to Democrat social transformation is now gone. There is no floor. Battle lines that used to hold for decades are now plowed through by Democrats in a matter of one committee markup. A party that stands for nothing, indeed.

…..

Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX), who sits on the Armed Services Committee, was so vehemently opposed to this provision that he voted against the underlying bill.  In a statement provided to Conservative Review, the Texas senator noted that although the committee adopted 12 of his amendments related to an array of foreign policy and national security issues, he could not “in good conscience vote to draft our daughters into the military, sending them off to war and forcing them into combat.”  “I will continue my efforts to speak out against the effort to force America’s daughter into combat,” wrote the former presidential candidate in a statement.    

Update: Sens. Mike Lee and Deb Fischer also voted against final passage.  Sen. Lee called this provision “misguided and ill-advised” in a statement he released tonight.  He also opposed the bill because it continues the program funding the Syrian rebels.  “The bill authorizes the continuation of the Syria Train and Equip program, which was suspended last year after expending hundreds of millions of dollars in taxpayer money to train only four or five fighters and finance the purchase of weapons that were ultimately seized by Al Nusra, the Syrian Al Qaeda affiliate,” wrote Lee. “I firmly believe that the American counter-ISIS strategy must be reconsidered from the top-down and that we should not fund failing programs.”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #6087

Consistent #6090

Consistent #6093

Consistent #6100

Consistent #6102

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.