Joint Chiefs chairman says he’ll meet with Google to explain, ‘We’re the good guys’

Source: Washington Examiner | March 21, 2019 | Jamie McIntyre

The nation’s top military officer says he plans to meet with representatives of Google to explain that the company’s business with China is helping the authoritarian regime control its people and aiding the country’s military.

Companies doing business in China, like Google, are required to include in the enterprise a cell of the Communist Party, which in turn is a direct link to the Chinese military, U.S. officials say.

“That is going to lead to that intellectual property from that company finding its way to the Chinese military,” Gen. Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said at a forum at the Atlantic Council in Washington, D.C., Thursday.

“And so my concern when you think about things like artificial intelligence … they’re gonna help an authoritarian government assert control over its own population,” Dunford said.

Google has come under criticism for refusing to work with the Pentagon on artificial intelligence while continuing to work with China.

“This is not about me and Google. This is about us looking at the second- and third-order effects of our business ventures in China, China’s form of government, and the impact that’s going to have on the United States’ ability to maintain a competitive military advantage and all that goes with it,” Dunford said. “I’m happy to have that debate.”

……….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #28516

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.