Lindsey Graham: Trump firing Mueller would be an impeachable offense

Source: Washington Examiner | March 20, 2018 | Al Weaver

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., said Tuesday it would be an impeachable offense for President Trump to fire special counsel Robert Mueller in an attempt to end the investigation looking into Russian interference in the 2016 election.

“Probably so, if he did it without cause, yeah,” Graham told radio host Hugh Hewitt when asked if firing Mueller would be an impeachable offense. “Well, I think what the president will have done is stopped an investigation in whether or not his campaign colluded with the Russians, what effect the Russians had on the 2016 campaign. I can’t see it being anything other than a corrupt purpose.”

Graham argued that Republicans would likely feel the same way as Democrats if the script were flipped and former President Barack Obama ended this kind of investigation.

“Let’s say that Obama fired somebody, I think we’d all have a different view on the Republican side,” Graham said.

“A high crime and misdemeanor in the Constitution is a fairly vague term. But what is at the essence of impeachment is a check and balance on a President… who’s gotten out of their lane, who changed the rule of law and basically turns it upside down,” Graham said. “I can’t think of a more upsetting moment in the rule of law to have an investigator looking at a president’s campaign as to whether or not they colluded with a foreign government, what kind of crimes may have been committed. I’ve seen no evidence of collusion, but to stop investigation without cause, I think, would be a constitutional crisis.”

………

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.