Mattis returning to Stanford months after Pentagon resignation

Source: The Hill | March 19, 2019 | Rebecca Kheel

Former Defense Secretary James Mattis, who resigned from the Pentagon’s top post in December, is returning to the job he had before joining the Trump administration, Stanford University’s Hoover Institution announced Tuesday.

Mattis will start May 1 as the Davies Family distinguished fellow at the Hoover Institution.

“I have long relied on the work of Hoover to supplement my understanding of the critical challenges facing our country and to help guide tough decisions,” Mattis said in a statement Tuesday. “I believe we have an obligation to pass on the lessons we’ve learned so that future generations can study, learn and become better. Hoover has made this part of its mission, and I look forward to returning.”

…….

Upon returning to the Hoover Institution, Mattis will focus his work on “domestic and international security policy,” according to Tuesday’s announcement.

He also will participate in events and programs related to military and national security policy both at Stanford’s California campus and at the Hoover Institution’s D.C. office.

“The wealth of knowledge and experience of an already extraordinary career has been made even richer by Gen. Mattis’ latest endeavor as secretary of Defense, and we are fortunate to once again be beneficiaries of his acumen,” Hoover director Tom Gilligan said in a statement. “One can find no one more universally respected for his honor, character, and relentless commitment to safeguarding American ideals than Jim Mattis.”

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.