McConnell: Legislation to protect Mueller not needed

Source: The Hill | April 10, 2018 | Jordain Carney

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said he doesn’t think the Senate needs to pass legislation protecting special counsel Robert Mueller, arguing President Trump won’t fire him.

McConnell has made similar comments in the past, but his Tuesday remarks were notable coming less than 24 hours after news broke of an FBI raid at the office of Trump’s personal lawyer, Michael Cohen. The raid was made after a referral by Mueller, which led Trump on Monday to note that “many people” had said he should fire the special counsel.

Despite Trump’s evident anger at the raid, McConnell said legislation was not necessary.

“I haven’t seen a clear indication yet that we needed to pass something to keep him from being removed because I don’t think that’s going to happen, and that remains my view,” McConnell told reporters. The GOP leader, asked what the Senate would do if Trump fired the special counsel, declined to speculate.

“It’s still my view that Mueller should be allowed to finish his job. I think that’s the view of most people in Congress,” he said.

Asked if he had received assurances from the Trump administration, McConnell sidestepped by reiterating that he believes Mueller should be allowed to continue his job.

“He shouldn’t be removed. He should be allowed to finish his job,” he said.

…….

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #22910

Consistent #22911

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.