Millions of Americans to experience the coldest Thanksgiving in more than a century

Source: The Hill | November 21, 2018 | Aris Folley

Millions of people across the country are reportedly in store to experience the coldest Thanksgiving this week in more than a century.

NBC News reports that temperatures are expected to hit a high of just 29 degrees in Philadelphia, Penn., on Thursday with residents in New York and Boston preparing to wake up to 26 and 21 degrees respectively the same morning.

According to the news agency, New York experienced its coldest Thanksgiving yet on Nov. 30, 1871, when temperatures dipped to a low 22 degrees.

The coldest Thanksgiving in Boston reportedly happened in 1873 when temperatures fell to 19 degrees and in Philadelphia with 28 degrees in 1901. 

New York City is also reportedly preparing to face bone-chilling winds of 15-25 mph on Turkey Day as Macy’s parade organizer continue to be on high alert for the expected weather.

…….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #26482

EVERYDAY #26485

It has been unseasonably cold where I live since mid-October when our extended summer finally ended. We went from unseasonably warm to downright cold in a matter of 24 hours. Except for one or two days in the 50s, we have had days struggling to reach 40. Thanksgiving Day, we won’t make it out of the 20s. Normal highs here are around 50.

Mercifully, though, no snow or any other precipitation is forecast here for Thanksgiving. This year has also been among the wettest on record locally. I would love to send all of our snow, rain and other dampness to California if I could.

ConservativeGranny #26486

Same here. A very rainy summer and we went from using the a/c one day to turning on the heat the next. It’s been rather cold. Makes me wonder what this winter has in store for us. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

EVERYDAY #26487

Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Granny and to Consistent and everyone else on this wonderful board.

Consistent #26488

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.