Mueller says Congress has authority to conduct obstruction probes

Source: The Hill | April 18, 2019 | Olivia Beavers

Special counsel Robert Mueller wrote in his report that Congress has the authority to conduct obstruction of justice investigations, stating that such probes provide a check if a president is corrupt.

“With respect to whether the President can be found to have obstructed justice by exercising his powers under Article II of the Constitution, we concluded that Congress has the authority to prohibit a President’s corrupt use of his authority in order to protect the integrity of the administration of justice,” Mueller wrote in his more than 400-page report.

Mueller said he reached this conclusion after his office set out to examine the past legal precedent governing such matters because the Department of Justice (DOJ) and courts have “not definitively resolved these issues.”

“We therefore examined those issues through the framework established by the Supreme Court precedent governing separation-of-powers issues,” he wrote.

He also noted that the DOJ and the president’s legal counsel have argued that the president “is subject to statutes that prohibit obstruction of justice by bribing a witness or suborning perjury because that conduct does not implicate his constitutional authority.”

………

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #28972

EVERYDAY #28973

I would really love to see Trump prosecuted for obstruction of justice, but frankly, I have my doubts he will be convicted of any crime. I’m sure others will go down for Trump’s crimes, but not him.

And where are Barr’s loyalties? With Trump or with the country he is supposed to serve?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.