North Korea threatened to call off next month’s historic summit with President Trump and has canceled discussions with South Korea scheduled to take place Wednesday, according to South Korean media.
North Korea canceled the talks with South Korea due to ongoing military drills between the U.S. and South Korean militaries, Yonhap News Service reported. Officials from the two Koreas were expected to continue discussions following a meeting between South Korean President Moon Jae-in and North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un last month.
Citing North Korea’s official Korean Central News Agency, Yonhap reported that the North believed the drills were in preparation for an invasion.
“This exercise targeting us, which is being carried out across South Korea, is a flagrant challenge to the Panmunjom Declaration and an intentional military provocation running counter to the positive political development on the Korean Peninsula,” the report from KCNA said, according to Yonhap. “The United States will also have to undertake careful deliberations about the fate of the planned North Korea-U.S. summit in light of this provocative military ruckus jointly conducted with the South Korean authorities.”
The U.S. and South Korea just began a spring exercise on the peninsula called Max Thunder, which focuses on air power, Pentagon spokesman Lt. Col. Chris Logan said.
The Pentagon had no immediate comment on the reports that North Korea broke off communications with the South and threatened to withdraw from the summit with Trump.
Trump is expected to meet with Kim June 12 in Singapore.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.