Omarosa recorded chief of staff Kelly in White House situation room

Source: The Hill | August 12, 2018 | Mary Tyler March

Former White House aide Omarosa Manigault Newman said Sunday that she secretly recorded chief of staff John Kelly in the White House situation room.

“This is a White House where everybody lies… you have to have your back,” Manigault Newman said on NBC’s “Meet the Press” on why she recorded her conversation with Kelly as he was firing her.

“If I did not have this recording, people would still believe the false, incredible story that I was running around the White House … that I tried to charge the residence of the White House. People would still think that I was trying to set off alarms,” she continued. “So yes I recorded myself and I have no regret about it.”

In the 20-second recording aired on NBC, Kelly can be heard saying that Manigault Newman can “go on without any type of difficulty” relative to her reputation “if we make this a friendly departure.”

“I think it’s important to understand that if we make this a friendly departure, we can all be, you know you can look at your time here in the White House as a year of service to the nation. And then you can go on without any type of difficulty in the future, relative to your reputation.”

Manigault Newman went on to say that Kelly’s words were “very obviously a threat.”

Many journalists and lawyers in the national security community were quick to point out that the recording should not have happened.

President Trump’s legislative director Marc Short said on ABC Sunday that the recording was “quite an affront,” given that people are required to give up phones and electronic devices before entering the situation room.

“Um, are not staff supposed to check all electronic devices in a secure repository before entering the Situation Room?” David Frum, senior editor at The Atlantic, tweeted after Manigault Newman’s claim. 

“If Omarosa carried for example a cellphone into the Situation Room, then not only did she record conversations there, but so potentially has any country or criminal organization that thought to hack her phone,” he later added.

……..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #25008

Consistent #25009

Consistent #25010

Consistent #25011

Consistent #25012

Consistent #25013

Consistent #25014

Consistent #25015

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.