Pittsburgh becomes largest US city without a daily print newspaper

Source: The Hill | August 27, 2018 | Joe Concha

Pittsburgh will hold the distinction of being the largest city in the U.S. without a daily print newspaper after the city’s Post-Gazette informed readers it will cut its production schedule from seven days a week to five beginning this weekend.

The Post-Gazette, which launched 232 years ago and is one of the oldest newspapers in the country, had originally indicated in June the cutback would eventually be happening while noting the digital edition of the paper will continue.

“It’s the year 2018, and with the way people review and expect to review information and news, we think we’re doing the right thing,” said Keith Wilkowski, vice president of legal and government affairs for Block Communications Inc., the company based in Toledo, Ohio, that owns the Post-Gazette, on June 27.

“We will be publishing a (digital) newspaper seven days a week,” Wilkowski added. “And, frankly, we reach more people via online than through the print publication.”

…….

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #25377

EVERYDAY #25379

This has been coming for some time, and I expect it will become the norm all over the country before long. The ones who will have a tough time are people like my aunt who don’t have a computer or other electronic device. I myself will miss the Sunday funnies and the paper coupons once the Sunday paper is gone. But the sad reality is that there isn’t much demand for a daily print edition and the cost of producing the paper has become prohibitive.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.