Romney: Put aside controversies, prioritize Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands

Source: The Hill | September 25, 2017 | Olivia Beavers

Former GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney on Monday joined the chorus of voices calling on lawmakers to prioritize hurricane relief efforts in Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands before a humanitarian crisis unfolds.

Romney made the plea in a tweet to “put aside controversies” and “prioritize rescue” efforts in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands after Hurricane Maria tore through the Caribbean last week.

He said former Puerto Rican Governor Luis Fortuño warned him that the American territory is on the “brink of a humanitarian disaster.”

…….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #18918

Consistent #18922

Consistent #18923

ConservativeGranny #18934

Has anyone starting suggesting we bring them all here yet? If not I’m surprised.

EVERYDAY #18937

I’m willing to bet they will be classified as “refugees” and brought here. This country has an infinite supply of money to provide for everyone in need. At least, that’s what so many believe.

Consistent #18943

He called on the federal government to recognize Puerto Rico’s dire fiscal situation and consider the possibility that residents could leave in droves if the commonwealth doesn’t recover quickly, compounding the island’s troubles.

If Congress doesn’t step up, he said, “my fear is we’re going to have some side effects that are devastating both for Puerto Rico and the United States. Mainly massive migration that would deteriorate our [economic] base here in Puerto Rico and would provoke significant demographic shifting in other areas of the United States.”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.