Rudy Giuliani, stop talking about Ivanka Trump like she's a princess

Source: Washington Examiner | May 4, 2018 | Philip Wegmann

Article I, Section 9, Clause 8 of the U.S. Constitution prohibits the federal government from bestowing titles of nobility. The founders had just fought a revolution to escape one king and they didn’t want any royal hierarchies taking root in their brand new representative democracy, thank you very much.

Rudy Giuliani should revisit that passage because all these years later royalty is still verboten. But somehow the newest member of the White House legal team declared Ivanka Trump off limits to special counsel Robert Mueller and this team.

“I guess Jared is a fine man, you know that,” Giuliani told Sean Hannity referring to President Trump’s son-in-law during a Wednesday interview. “But men are, you know, disposable. But a fine woman like Ivanka? Come on.” Go after the first daughter and not only would the country turn on Mueller politically, Giuliani quipped that he would even “get on my charger and go right into their offices with a lance.”

But here’s the thing: Ivanka Trump works in the White House, advises her father daily, and has perhaps more influence on the direction of the administration than anyone besides chief of staff John Kelly and Trump himself. Before becoming a fixture in the West Wing, she was a fixture on the campaign. She knows things, maybe even damning things. But the relative innocence or guilt of Ivanka and her father is irrelevant.

Also irrelevant, her last name. The point here is that just like everyone else, she is under the same law as everyone else.

America loves Ivanka to be sure. But Giuliani is wrong to imply that she is untouchable or even regal. He sends the message that the law can only goes so far when specific special people are involved.

…….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.