Ryan backs Nunes in his latest pursuit of classified DOJ documents

Source: The Hill | May 10, 2018 | Olivia Beavers and Scott Wong

Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) is backing the latest efforts of House Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) to obtain classified documents from the Department of Justice (DOJ) as it relates to the federal investigation into Russian election meddling.

“I think this request is wholly appropriate and is completely within the scope of the investigation that has been ongoing for awhile with respect to [the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act],” Ryan said Thursday during his weekly press conference.

“I actually think this is something that should have been answered awhile ago,” he added.

The precise nature of the information Nunes is pursuing remains unclear but Ryan said he arrived at this conclusion after talking to the key players involved in the matter, including Nunes, House Oversight Chairman Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.), and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.

“I expect that we will be able to have an accommodation to honor this request because it’s our job to do oversight of the executive branch,” Ryan continued, calling the request “completely appropriate.”

Nunes and Gowdy are expected to visit the DOJ on Thursday afternoon to receive a briefing about the request, Fox News reported Thursday.

The classified briefing also comes after Rosenstein met with White House chief of staff John Kelly, according to the report.

The DOJ initially refused to comply with Nunes’s subpoena request to see this particular batch of documents. The agency warned that providing information about a “specific individual” could have serious consequences for national security, according to reports.

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.