'Saturday Night Live' mocks Trump-Amazon feud with Steve Carell as Jeff Bezos

Source: The Hill | November 18, 2018 | Kyle Balluck

“Saturday Night Live” in its latest episode mocked the feud between President Trump and Amazon, with actor Steve Carell playing the retail giant’s founder and CEO, Jeff Bezos.

“As you know, Amazon just announced the location of its two new headquarters in New York and Virginia, and everyone — except for the people who live there and the people who live in all the places we didn’t choose — is thrilled,” Carell said.

“Some folks have speculated that I was somehow trolling President Trump by building one headquarters in his hometown of Queens and the other in his current residence of Washington, D.C., thereby overshadowing or humiliating him,” he said.

“But that’s simply not true. Sure, he attacked me repeatedly on Twitter. But I chose our locations because they were ideal for growing business, not just to make Donald Trump think about how I’m literally 100 times richer than he is,” he added.

Trump has frequently criticized Bezos, who also owns The Washington Post, and links the online retailer to its White House coverage even though the newspaper has said that Bezos plays no role in its editorial decisions.  He has also targeted Amazon’s agreement with the U.S. Postal Service, which allows it to ship packages at reduced rates, blaming it for the fiscal woes at USPS. 

Carell as Bezos said late Saturday that he didn’t just buy The Washington Post to run headlines like “The White House is in meltdown” or “Immigration lawyers suing for Apprentice tapes of Trump using the N-word.”

“I also love our Style section,” he added, turning to a page showing Trump playing tennis under the print headline: “Hottest New Trend: Tennis Diapers.”

Carell also announced “Amazon Caravan,” a new delivery option.

……..

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.