Sen. Cruz Praises Passage of the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act

Source: U.S. Senator for Texas Ted Cruz | May 18, 2016 |

“The time for accountability is long overdue”

WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) today applauded passage of the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act (S. 2040), which would allow American victims to obtain compensation in federal courts from foreign governments responsible for acts of terrorism committed in the United States.

Specifically, the bill would benefit victims of 9/11 and their families who have been unable to seek legal recourse against potentially complicit foreign governments due to a legal doctrine known as “sovereign immunity,” which shields them from claims for monetary compensation in United States courts.

“We owe it to 9/11 victims and their families to get as much information to the public as we can, and to allow them to seek justice,” Senator Cruz said. “I’m proud to stand with Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) and my Senate colleagues on both sides of the aisle to ensure that those who suffer at the hands of terrorism can find at least some small amount of peace through our judicial system. The time for accountability is long overdue. I urge the House to swiftly bring up and pass this necessary measure.”

The full text of the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act can be found here.

###

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.