Trump cancels meeting with Putin in Argentina

Source: Washington Examiner | November 29, 2018 | Steven Nelson

President Trump on Thursday canceled a planned weekend meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin, citing the Russian military’s recent seizure of Ukrainian ships and sailors.

Trump tweeted shortly after Air Force One departed for a daylong flight to Argentina, where Trump and Putin will join other world leaders at the G-20 summit in Buenos Aires.

“Based on the fact that the ships and sailors have not been returned to Ukraine from Russia, I have decided it would be best for all parties concerned to cancel my previously scheduled meeting… in Argentina with President Vladimir Putin. I look forward to a meaningful Summit again as soon as this situation is resolved!” Trump tweeted.

About an hour earlier, Trump told reporters on the South Lawn of the White House that he “probably” would meet with Putin, but that he may cancel the meeting after receiving an in-air briefing on Ukraine.

“I probably will be meeting with President Putin, we haven’t terminated that meeting. I was thinking about it, but we haven’t,” Trump said on the South Lawn. “They’d like to have it. I think it’s a very good time to have the meeting.”

“I’m getting a full report on the plane as to what happened, with respect to that, and that will determine what I’m going to be doing,” Trump said when leaving the White House. “We are getting a finalized report, I’m going to have it on the plane sometime today.”

Trump canceled the meeting shortly after former attorney Michael Cohen pleaded guilty to lying to Congress in connection to special counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation.

………

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.