Trump declares New York Times 'enemy of the people'

Source: The Hill | February 20, 2019 | Brett Samuels

President Trump on Wednesday labeled The New York Times “a true enemy of the people” one day after an extensive report detailing the ways in which he has sought to influence the investigations into his presidency and allies.

“The New York Times reporting is false,” Trump tweeted. “They are a true ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE!”

………

The president did not refute any specific reporting from the Times.

The newspaper reported Tuesday that Trump asked then-acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker late last year to put U.S. Attorney Geoffrey Berman in charge of the investigation in New York’s Southern District into Trump’s former lawyer, Michael Cohen.

Berman, an ally of Trump who donated to his 2016 campaign, had been recused from the investigation, and Whitaker did not act on Trump’s request.

Trump dismissed the report when asked about it Tuesday afternoon.

“I don’t know who gave you that,” Trump said, calling the report “fake news.”

………

Earlier Wednesday morning, the president claimed that writers “don’t even call asking for verification.”

The New York Times report on Trump’s request to put Berman in charge of the Cohen investigation noted that the White House did not respond when given an opportunity to provide comment before publication.

………

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #27981

Consistent #27982

EVERYDAY #27983

Inasmuch as Trump is so cozy with Putin and Kim, it looks like the real enemy of the people just might be Trump himself.

Consistent #27991

New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman refuted President Trump’s claim that reporters fail to reach out to the White House for comment, calling it “a lie” during an interview on CNN Wednesday morning.

“I sent several emails that went unanswered until yesterday. We went through a detailed list of what we were planning on reporting,” Haberman, who also serves as a CNN contributor, told “New Day.”

“They chose not to engage, and afterwards, the president acts surprised,” she continued. “Whether his aides are not telling him what we are looking at or whether this is a game and he knows what it is and he’s pretending, I can’t read his mind. We certainly follow normal reporting practices and went over it at length with the White House and the Department of Justice.”

“That’s not true, that’s a lie,” Haberman later added. “I don’t know if he knows it’s a lie or whether he is telling himself this is true, whether his staff doesn’t tell him we are reaching out. I find it hard to believe that his staff didn’t reach him that this kind of a report was coming.”

……..

Consistent #27992

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.