Trump defends ZTE comments

Source: The Hill | May 14, 2018 | Brett Samuels

President Trump on Monday defended his comments supporting Chinese telecommunications company ZTE, saying it is part of ongoing trade negotiations with China and “my personal relationship with President Xi.”

“ZTE, the largest Chinese phone company, buys a big percentage of individual parts from U.S. companies. This is also reflective of the larger trade deal we are negotiating with China and my personal relationship with President Xi,” Trump tweeted.

……..

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and other lawmakers criticized the president’s outreach, arguing he was prioritizing Chinese jobs over American workers and that ZTE represented a national security threat.

The White House faced multiple questions during Monday’s press briefing about the president’s pledge to assist ZTE.

Deputy White House press secretary Raj Shah told reporters that Trump has directed the Commerce Department to look into the matter, which is part of a “complex relationship” between China and the U.S.

……..

Trump has often blasted China for its “one-sided” trade practices, but has also insisted that he and Xi have a positive relationship.

“President Xi and I will always be friends, no matter what happens with our dispute on trade,” Trump said last month as China and the United States exchanged tariff threats.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.