Trump exaggerated wealth, hid debts as a businessman: report

Source: The Hill | March 28, 2019 | Chris Mills Rodrigo

President Trump frequently exaggerated his assets and hid his debts while a businessman, according to documents reviewed by The Washington Post.

Trump would reportedly hand out documents called “Statements of Financial Condition” during business dealings. In these documents, Trump would allegedly misrepresent the property he owned, including omitting debts and overvaluing assets.

According to one such financial statement from 2011 reviewed by the Post, Trump said he had 55 home lots to sell at his golf course in Southern California. However, according to city records obtained by the Post, he only had 31 lots zoned and ready for sale. That difference accounted for at least $72 million in future revenue.

Trump made other reported exaggerations, including saying that his Virginia vineyard had 2,000 acres, when it really has about 1,200, and that Trump Tower has 68 stories when it really has 58.

……..

According to the Post, the alleged misrepresentations are at the center of two investigations into the president.

On Wednesday, the House Oversight and Reform Committee requested 10 years worth of Trump’s financial records.

……..

The New York state Department of Financial Services also subpoenaed records from Trump’s longtime insurer, Aon, earlier this month.

A source familiar with the investigation told the Post that a “key component” was questions about whether Trump had given Aon any flawed financial statements in an effort to lower his insurance premiums.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #28632

Consistent #28633

EVERYDAY #28634

I have always suspected Trump was not the wealthy, successful businessman his PR always claimed. Maybe when he inherited from his father, but I believe he squandered his inheritance and whatever money he did make and in more recent years, he went deep in debt. I suspected that eventually, borrowing from banks in the US became impossible, so he went overseas, possibly to Russian banks. Might explain Trump’s crush on Putin.

Consistent #28636

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.