Trump in 'no rush' to denuclearize North Korea

Source: Politico | February 19, 2019 | Rebecca Morin

President Donald Trump said Tuesday that there was “no rush” to denuclearize North Korea, whose leader, Kim Jong Un, he’s meeting next week.

“I have no pressing time schedule,” Trump said of removing nuclear weapons from the North, adding he would “like to see, ultimately, denuclearization, of North Korea” and that he thought “we will see that, ultimately.”

The president is meeting with Kim in Hanoi, Vietnam, on Feb. 27 and 28. The two leaders, who had their first meeting in Singapore in June, agreed to a framework to remove nuclear weapons from the peninsula.

Analysts and former U.S. officials have cast doubt on Trump’s assessment of North Korea’s commitment to that pledge.

Trump told reporters in the Oval office that he believed “that North Korea and Chairman Kim have some very positive things in mind” about getting rid of nuclear weapons and “we’ll soon find out” what they are.

“I’m in no rush,” Trump said of denuclearization. “As long as there’s no testing, I’m in no rush. If there’s testing, that’s another deal. But there has been no testing.”

Top intelligence officials earlier this month told Congress that North Korea was unlikely to give up its nuclear weapons, despite Trump’s claim that it would.

………

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.