Trump nominates Brett Kavanaugh to Supreme Court

Source: Washington Examiner | July 9, 2018 | Melissa Quinn

President Trump has nominated federal appeals court judge Brett Kavanaugh to the U.S. Supreme Court, he announced in a prime-time event Monday.

Kavanaugh, 53, is tapped to fill retiring Justice Anthony Kennedy’s seat and if he is confirmed by the Senate, the Supreme Court’s ideological tilt is expected to shift solidly to the Right. Senate approval of Kavanaugh, a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, would mark the second vacancy on the high court filled by Trump.

Kavanaugh would replace Kennedy, for whom he clerked for on the Supreme Court. Kennedy sent shockwaves across Washington, D.C., when he announced late last month he will be retiring after 30 years on the high court, effective July 31.

……..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #24434

Consistent #24435

Consistent #24436

Consistent #24437

Consistent #24438

Sen. Cruz Issues Statement in Support of the Nomination of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court

‘I am confident that the Senate will take up his nomination quickly, and I fully expect that he will be confirmed before the first Monday in October, the beginning of the Supreme Court’s Term’

July 9, 2018 | 202-228-7561

WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) today issued the following statement in support of President Donald Trump’s nomination of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court of the United States:

“By any measure, Judge Kavanaugh is one of the most respected federal judges in the country and I look forward to supporting his nomination to the Supreme Court of the United States. For over a decade, Judge Kavanaugh has served on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, often referred to as the second highest court in the land. He has over 300 published opinions, with a strong record of defending the Second Amendment, safeguarding the separation of powers, reining in the unchecked power of federal agencies, and preserving our precious religious liberties.

“Senate Democrats, sadly, will try to demagogue this nomination, but their efforts will not be successful. I am confident that the Senate will take up his nomination quickly, and I fully expect that he will be confirmed before the first Monday in October, the beginning of the Supreme Court’s Term. As a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, I look forward to his confirmation hearing, where Judge Kavanaugh will have the opportunity to demonstrate to the American people that he will uphold the rule of law and interpret the Constitution according to its original meaning.”

###

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.