Trump proposes eliminating federal funding for PBS, NPR

Source: The Hill | February 12, 2018 | Joe Concha

President Trump’s newly proposed budget includes a proposal to end federal funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB), part of a package that includes $300 billion in new spending overall.

CPB provides federal funding for PBS and National Public Radio stations.

“The Budget proposes to eliminate Federal funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) over a two year period,” according to the proposal.

“CPB grants represent a small share of the total funding for the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) and National Public Radio (NPR), which primarily rely on private donations to fund their operations,” it continues.

“To conduct an orderly transition away from Federal funding, the Budget requests $15.5 million in 2019 and $15 million in 2020, which would include funding for personnel costs of $16.2 million, rental costs of $8.9 million; and other costs totaling $5.4 million.”

…….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #21593

EVERYDAY #21594

Much as I would like to see PBS, CPB and NPR defunded, I doubt it will happen. Same with Planned Parenthood. Republicans talk about cutting these agencies loose, but they won’t do it because they are afraid of losing votes. All talk. No action.

Woodcutter #21601

Yeah, “$15.5 million in 2019 and $15 million in 2020” certainly does not sound like “a proposal to end federal funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB)” to me!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.