Trump repeats Canada trade claim after admitting he bluffed in meeting with Trudeau

Source: Politico | March 15, 2018 | Cristiano Lima

President Donald Trump on Thursday repeated his claim that the U.S. has a trade deficit with Canada to swipe at Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, a day after boasting about misleading the Canadian leader about his knowledge of the subject.

The Office of the U.S. Trade Representative says the U.S. in 2016 had a goods and services trade surplus with Canada of $12.5 billion.

“We do have a Trade Deficit with Canada, as we do with almost all countries (some of them massive). P.M. Justin Trudeau of Canada, a very good guy, doesn’t like saying that Canada has a Surplus vs. the U.S.(negotiating), but they do…they almost all do…and that’s how I know!” the president tweeted.

The president on Wednesday bragged to donors during a closed-door speech in Missouri about telling Trudeau that the U.S. was at a trade deficit with Canada, even though he wasn’t sure of the details and the Canadian prime minister refuted the claim.

“I didn’t even know,” Trump said, according to audio obtained by POLITICO. “I just said, ‘You’re wrong.’”

…….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.