Trump says Democrats 'could have easily made a deal' to avoid shutdown, Schumer says Trump balked on border wall offer

Source: Washington Examiner | January 20, 2018 | Daniel Chaitin

President Trump turned what he said was a Senate Democrat-manufactured partial government shutdown into a campaign pitch for Republicans in the the 2018 midterms, claiming the minority party in the upper chamber “could have easily made a deal but decided to play Shutdown politics instead.”

The early-morning tweets came hours after his press secretary, Sarah Sanders, said the White House wouldn’t negotiate with Democrats on immigration at all until they agree to keep the government open.

“This is the One Year Anniversary of my Presidency and the Democrats wanted to give me a nice present. #DemocratShutdown,” Trump tweeted just hours after the partial shutdown began. “Democrats are far more concerned with Illegal Immigrants than they are with our great Military or Safety at our dangerous Southern Border. They could have easily made a deal but decided to play Shutdown politics instead. #WeNeedMoreRepublicansIn18 in order to power through mess!”

……

While Trump blamed the Democrats for being intransigent, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., claimed that he was open to considering a wishlist item from Trump and his Republican allies in an effort to come to a compromise: funding for a border wall with Mexico.

“During the meeting, in exchange for strong DACA protections, I reluctantly put the border wall on the table for the discussion,” Schumer said on the Senate floor early Saturday morning, referring to his meeting with Trump at the White House about a coming to an agreement on the spending deal. “Even that was not enough to entice the president to finish the deal,” Schumer added.

……

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.